It’s not every week that we highlight a game which has productivity as a central core element of its design. I am especially attached to this project because of a design we briefly worked on here at RatDog Games titled SuperFit. The concept revolved around the gamification of losing weight / bodybuilding. HabitRPG works on a notion that RPG mechanics will help users complete everyday tasks more efficiently.
HabitRPG by Tyler Renelle
“HabitRPG is a habit tracker app which treats your goals like a Role Playing Game. Level up as you succeed, lose HP as you fail, earn money to buy weapons and armor. Read more. The project is open source, and is live.”
Gamification is a concept which has yet to be fully explored. It is well known that as a people we hate doing everyday tasks.. but we love video games. It was only a matter of time before we began merging the two.
What I Like:
- Open Source
- Art is the first thing that pulls any backer towards a campaign
- Having a unique art/lighting style really keeps backers on the page begging for more info
- Try Before You Buy
- Being able to use the web version is a great draw, backers can tell instantly if it is something they would use daily
- Key Integration
- Most people already use services like Astrid, Google Calendar and Google Tasks. Not needing to change how we already do th
What I Dislike:
- Who Are You?
- Backers love to relate to the developers, not having any pictures / bio ( other than the Facebook image) is disappointing
- More Art!
- Creating images for headlines adds to campaign polish
- Pixel art has become very popular during the mobile boom, showing some characters was nice but the more the better
Help out a local MA dev reach his stretch goals in the last 30+ hours of his campaign!